Great article on What the news isn’t saying about men’s violence against women coverage tends to lack context, including:
- Calling it what it is: gender-based violence, violence against women, domestic violence, intimate partner violence, etc.
- Including information: this includes statistics, prevalence, patterns and dynamics, and information about support services.
- Mentioning the history of violence (when relevant): research has shown that as many as 70 per cent of male perpetrated intimate partner homicides are preceded by violence
- Discussing gender inequity as part of the problem: among the most important causes of gender-based violence, it is among the least likely issues to be discussed in the mainstream media
– Melbourne Social Equity Unit, University of Melbourne